Thursday, March 18, 2021

If You’re Not Going To Take Privacy Seriously Then Why Should I?

I am reminded of an old joke. I’m old so those are the only jokes I know.

The head brew masters for Coors, Budweiser, and Guinness are at a conference. At the end of the day, they go to the bar. When the bartender asks what they’ll have, the Coors brew master says “I’ll have a Coors, made from Rocky Mountain spring water.” The Budweiser brew master says “I’ll have a Budweiser, the king of beers!” The Guinness brew master orders a Coke. The other two look at the Guinness brew master and ask why he isn’t having beer? He replies “If you’re not having beer then neither will I. There’s a man who takes his beer more seriously than most people take their privacy.

In my newest blog at SecureIQLab, I discuss the disconnect between many people’s actions and their sometimes irrational privacy concerns, such as fear of Covid tracking apps. Biometric privacy and security risks are real, but do you submit to biometric data capture when you have a choice not to? I end with a little guidance about what should go into a decision when choosing what privacy risk to accept and what to reject.

Essentially it comes down to choosing between cats and privacy. Cats are the only reason the Internet exists, yet once you go online to look at cat videos, especially on YouTube, kiss your privacy goodbye. Choose wisely.

Randy Abrams
Senior Security Analyst (that’s Señor Security Analyst to you)
SecureIQLab

No comments:

Post a Comment